Summer Camp Associate 2019
Associate position needed to assist San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society at the Don Edwards SF Bay National Wildlife Refuge Environmental Education Center (EEC). This position will be from May – August, and responsible for the planning and organizing of the 2019 Marsh-In Summer Camp Program. The Associate will be working under the Watershed Watchers Program Coordinator, while also being advised by other EEC Staff members.
Marsh-In Summer Camp is a free camp for students entering grades 1-6. Each day of camp has a theme: Bird Day, Fish Day, Mammal Day, and Nocturnal Night. There is one overnight for older campers entering grades 4-6 where we sleep outside! Habitat Heroes is a training week for students entering grades 7-12. Habitat Heroes assist with camp by leading camper groups and various activities throughout the day. Marsh-In Summer Camp participants are chosen via a lottery, and we accept approximately 65 students.
ResponsibilitiesPlanning and organizing the Marsh-In Summer Camp Program held at the EEC during the weeks of July 15th (Habitat Heroes) and July 39th (Camp). This will include:
- Develop and plan schedules, spreadsheets and informational letters: 40%
- Communicate with parents and guardians of campers, staff, and volunteers: 20%
- Organize camp materials for activities and training resources: 15%
- Develop new camp activities: 15%
- Train Habitat Heroes and staff on roles during camp week: 10%
- Valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree or current college student in education, environmental science, biology, park management, or related field
- Experience in leading and/or developing educational programs and/or summer camp programs
- Basic computer experience including Microsoft Office and Google Docs.
Position will begin on May 14th, working 5 days per week Tuesday – Saturday, totaling approximately 35 hours per week. During the two weeks of camp, position will work Monday-Friday. Position will end August 17th and will not exceed 530 hours.
Salary - $15.00 per hour.
You will be working as a part-time employee for San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society, the nonprofit Friends Group to the Refuge Complex. Benefits are not included. Timesheets are due every two weeks, by the 15th and end of the month. The San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society will provide uniform shirts.
On-site housing may be available for a small monthly fee. Please indicate in application if you are interested in this.
Please send a cover letter and resume including references in a single PDF to Hope Presley at firstname.lastname@example.org by end of day April 15. You will receive a confirmation email. Interviews will be held on April 23 and 24.