Interpretive Associate for the Watershed Watchers Program
Part-time, 8-16 hours/week
July 2018 - June 30, 2019
Associate needed to assist San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society (SFBWS) at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge from July 2018 – June 2019, working 1 day (Saturday) with the possibility of an additional day (Thursday). Associate will work at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge Environmental Education Center in Alviso. (http://www.fws.gov/desfbay). The associate will be working under the Watershed Watchers Program Coordinator, promoting the Watershed Watchers mission, (http://www.mywatershedwatch.org/), funded by Santa Clara Valley Urban Runoff Pollution Prevention Program (SCVURPPP).
The Associate will be a part-time employee for the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society (SFBWS), a not-for-profit friends group to the San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge Complex. The primary mission of SFBWS is to promote public awareness and appreciation of the San Francisco Bay and its natural history, and to conserve and preserve the remaining Bay lands as essential wildlife habitat.
Assisting with current, and developing new, interpretive programs at the Environmental Education Center in Alviso (North San Jose). This will include:
- Assist with restoration programs geared towards 5-12 th grades that increase awareness about issues such as using safe gardening techniques to prevent water pollution, 30%
- Assist with weekend interpretive programs, 30%
- Recruit and manage volunteers to assist with restoration and citizen science, 15 %
- Update current Citizen Science projects, 10%
- General visitor services, such as answering questions in person and on the phone, 10%
- Develop outreach and informational materials, 5%
- Ability and commitment to work Saturdays.
- Valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree, or in-progress, in biology, ecology, environmental science, park management, or related field
- Basic animal and plant identification skills
- Experience developing educational programs and previous work with children preferred
- Basic computer experience including Microsoft Office and Google Docs
Position will begin at one day per week (Saturday) with possibility of increasing one additional day per week (Thursday). The position will begin in July 2018 and end on June 30, 2019.
Salary - $13.50 per hour for 2018, increasing to $15.00 per hour for 2019.
You will be working as a part-time employee for the SFBWS, a not-for-profit friends group to the San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge Complex. The primary mission of SFBWS is to promote public awareness and appreciation of the San Francisco Bay and its natural history, and to conserve and preserve the remaining Bay lands as essential wildlife habitat.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter as a single PDF document to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “WW Associate 2018: LAST NAME” by June 17, 2018.
Position open until filled.