Drawbridge Van Excursion
There’s a ghost town in the San Francisco Bay? That’s right! Nestled on an island in the salt marshes of South San Francisco Bay, the town of Drawbridge once boomed. Was it a quiet, peaceful town full of nature lovers, or people scrabbling out a living? How long did it exist?
Find out at this program led by Ceal Craig. We will start with a slideshow, and then take a short van excursion to view Drawbridge across Coyote Creek. Program will be of most interest to adults interested in history or nature; children 13 and over with an adult are welcome. Space is very limited. (Note: we do not visit the town itself – we go to the closest spot that one can legally view Drawbridge.)
Questions? Call 408-262-5513 ext. 104.
A book on Drawbridge, California, Sinking Underwater: A Ghost Town's Amazing Legacy written by Anita Goldwasser and Cecilia D. Craig, Ph. D. and published by the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society, is now available for purchase.
Anita Goldwasser is a writer who explored the once-vibrant ghost town of Drawbridge in the San Francisco Bay Area and photographed its buildings more than 30 years ago—before most of them sank into the marsh or succumbed to fire.
You can buy the book in person at our Nature Stores at the Don Edwards San Francisco Bay National Wildlife Refuge. You can also have us mail you a copy by sending us a check or making an online payment.
All proceeds from the book sale benefit the San Francisco Bay Wildlife Society.
- A Short History of Drawbridge
- A Chronological History of Drawbridge
- A Visual History of Drawbridge
- Drawbridge: History, the People, and its Future (PDF 9 MB) | Ceal Craig
- Drawbridge, CA Re-turning the Tide (PDF 1 MB) | US Fish and Wildlife
- Drawbridge: A Ghost Town Revisited (PDF 614 KB) | John Steiner
- Drawbridge Binder from EEC (PDF 5 MB)
- Drawbridge, CA featured in the Milpitas Post 8/24/2012 | Aug 24, 2012 | (PDF 3 MB)
- Musings on Drawbridge by Brenna Silbory | May 17, 2014
- Bay Area artist Donald Neff paints Drawbridge in plein air | Sep 7, 2014
- Podcast by Bay Curious narrates the history of Drawbridge | Jul 20, 2017
- Drawbridge, CA featured in the Mercury News 7/17/2018 | Jul 17, 2018
- Drawbridge book Sinking Underwater: A Ghost Town's Amazing Legacy by Anita Goldwasser and Cecilia D. Craig, Ph. D., now available for purchase | Jul 24, 2018